The Foundation was established with support of the Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre and its mission is:
- to develop scientific, research and innovative projects of the medical Centre
- to promote the results of scientific research
- to develop new and more advanced techniques of diagnosis, treatment and prevention of the most widespread and socially significant diseases studied in the Centre.
The main objectives of the Foundation are:
- creation and implementation of funding programmes to develop scientific research and innovation activities;
- raising funds in the forms of donations and investments to achieve the Foundation statutory goals;
- involvement of the media and information agencies in the activities of the Foundation;
- assistance in attracting domestic and foreign organizations to provide financial assistance within the statutory objectives of the Foundation;
- funding and organization of symposia, scientific conferences and meetings, including international ones related to the activities of the Foundation;
- invitation of foreign experts.
In accordance with the order of the Russian Ministry of Health #228 of May 21, 2014 the Federal Almazov Medical Research Center was renamed as the North-West Federal Medical Research Centre.
In accordance with the order of the Russian Ministry of Health #245 of May, 15, 2015 the North-West Federal Medical Research Centre was renamed as the Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre.