Head of the Department
The aim of the Department is to improve theoretical knowledge and practical skills in various areas of surgical activity necessary to provide high-tech surgical care for adults and children with the use of new technologies, as well as researchers and specialists training.
The departmet aims to meet the practical needs of the Ministry of Health and Social Development in highly qualified specialists and is based on the principle of continuous postgraduate education.
Specialization and areas of training:
Training of specialists is carried out within postgraduate education programs in internship, clinical residency, postgraduate, and doctoral education, as well as programs of additional education: professional retraining, including certification cycles of thematic improvement in the following areas:
- Cardiovascular surgery
- Endovascular diagnostics and treatment
- Pediatric sugery
The Department of surgical medicine focuses on the practical specialists training necessary for successful development of new minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic technologies. For the competency approach in postgraduate and further education the Department includes such forms and methods of teaching as work on simulators, models, virtual simulators, organ complexes, and experimental animals. The Department insists on the students participation in operations, diagnostic procedures conducted in specialized clinical departments with the necessary thematic patients. The Department is a center of new technologies in surgery and always uses telecommunication system that provides real-time transmission of images from operating room in the lecture halls to increase the information content of the educational process.
The Department has highly qualified teaching staff with a lot of practical experience that successfully develops surgical sciene.
Scientific work. Main derections:
- Development of modern high tech surgical treatment of thoracic aorta aneurysms, congenital and acquired heart disease.
- Development of new methods of diagnostic and surgical treatment of rhythm disorders. Study of the pathophysiological mechanisms of development and structural changes in atrial fibrillation, the role of cardic conduction system in the development of cardic arrhythmias.
- Study of donor heart transplant problems.
- Development of new and improvement of the existing technologies of endovascular and surgical treatment of patients with coronary atherosclerosis.
- Interventional cardiology.
- Development of hybrid technology in cardiac surgery.
The Department staff active participates in many international and national conferences, and professional scientific communities.