From November 28 to 30, the 3rd Congress of Young Scientists took place at the Sirius Park of Art and Science in Sochi. The Congress was organized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, the Coordinating Council for Youth Affairs in Science and Education under the Presidential Council for Science and Education, the Roscongress Foundation and National Priorities, the operator of the Year of Science and Technology in Russia.
A key event of the Decade of Science and Technology, the Congress is the largest platform bringing together basic science, frontier research, public authorities, and the real sector of the economy. More than 5,000 young scientists from 25 countries took part in the event. The programme included round tables, discussions, sessions, educational, sporting and cultural events and focused on the main trends in the country's scientific and technological development in the field of medicine:
— Transition to personalized medicine
— Development of high-tech healthcare
— Active adoption of health-enhancing technologies
Almazov Centre was represented by:
• Evgeny Shlyakhto, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Director General of Almazov Centre
• Alexandra Konradi, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Deputy Director General for Research of Almazov Centre
• Maria Pospelova, Associate Professor, Head of the Neuroclinical Oncology Research Laboratory, WCRC for Personalized Medicine, Associate Professor of the Department of Neurology with Clinic
• Zamira Magomedova, Chair of Young Scientists and Specialists Council, Head of Integration of Science, Clinic and Education of the Young Scientists Council of the Russian Ministry of Health
• Albina Makhanova, PhD student of the Department of Neurology with Clinic, junior researcher of the Neuroclinical Oncology Research Laboratory, WCRC for Personalized Medicine
• Elizaveta Lanskaya, 5th year student, President of the Student Council, Secretary of Young Scientists and Specialists Council, Head of the Education and Science Committee of the Student Council of the Russian Ministry of Health
A landmark event was the meeting of Russian President Vladimir Putin with the participants of the 3rd Congress of Young Scientists. The Young Scientists Council met with Tatiana Semenova, Deputy Minister of Health, at the session «Medical Science for People». The session on ethical and legal issues of research featured a speech by Mikhail Murashko, Russian Minister of Health.
Alexandra Konradi participated in the strategic session «Shaping the Future Together: Cooperation of Science, Industry and Education» and presented similarities and differences between world-class research centres and world-class research and education centres. Following the session, the team of world-class medical centres was declared the winner.
Alexandra Konradi also gave a presentation at the round table «Best Practices of WCRC in the implementation of international research projects». In her speech she highlighted the achievements of the WCRC for Personalized Medicine, the main results of the most important research projects with international cooperation. At the round table «Innovations in Medicine. Problems and Solutions» she spoke about new developments in radiopharmaceuticals.
The All-Russian Youth Science Contest #VCENTRENAUKI was one of the interactive events of the Congress, which took place from 1 November to 30 November. The final of the competition was held in the form of a project session within the business programme of the Congress in a face-to-face format. The strategy of the competition was to solve major interdisciplinary problems in the field of life sciences. Maria Pospelova was a member of the expert council of the external session. In the finals, the work of the team from the WCRC for Personalized Medicine was presented and defended. Albina Makhanova presented the results of the research «Creation of new treatment and rehabilitation approaches in patients with post-mastectomy syndrome on the basis of assessment of clinical, neuropsychological, neuroimaging and metabolic indicators of the nervous system». The experts appreciated the high level of research and the importance of this medical and social issue.