Scientific and Educational Medical Cluster “Translational Medicine” was established following the decision of the Scientific Council of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Scientific and Educational Medical Cluster “Translational Medicine” is a way to mobilize the opportunities of the state, business, scientific community and create a tool for scientific, technical and innovation policy to achieve the goals in unique innovative and technological modernization of the Russian economy in the field of medicine, pharmaceuticals and related areas.
The Cluster is an association based on voluntary principles and equality of all participants and organizations of any legal form and ownership, including state authorities, professional associations, non-governmental organizations, research and higher education institutions aiming at the Cluster goals and their achievement.
Cluster mission and goal
Cluster strategic goal is to create a medicine segment based on breakthrough technologies, new markets of high-tech products and services and fast integration of advanced findings in medical and pharmaceutical industries.
- To develop a set of new technologies that can be the basis for scientific and technological «breakthrough» and ensure their transfer into practical medicine as products and services for commercialization.
- To cultivate and develop innovative talent in healthcare and pharmaceutical sector; provide additional professional training of academic, medical and nursing staff for educational and research institutions, high-tech medical care providers, government authorities and manufacturing facilities.
- To form a new market of high-tech medicine and pharma products with partner mechanisms in technological modernization and personnel training.
- To establish a basis for new interaction between medical and economical sector participants to find priority research areas and develop strategic plan in key directions where competitiveness and sustainable growth depend on medium and long-term research and technological results.
- To concentrate R&D funding in focus areas.
- To ensure the state regulation of innovation processes making it faster for the products to appear on the market by cutting red tape.
- To harmonize R&D in high-tech medicine and pharmacy sectors with the European community and technological initiatives in medicine worldwide.
- To develop responses to strategic technological challenges.
The Cluster activities will cover the following economic sectors:
Medicine and healthcare
Automation and electronics
New materials production
The activity is aimed at the following crucial technologies:
- Biocatalytic, biosynthetic and biosensor technologies
- Biomedical, biopharmaceutical and veterinary technologies
- Genomic, proteomic and post-genomic technologies
- Cell technologies
- Nano- , bio- , information, cognitive technologies
- Bioengineering technologies
- Technologies for structural and functional nanomaterials
- Technologies and software for high-performance computing systems
- Technologies for loss reduction from socially significant diseases
- Technologies for electronic component base and energy-efficient lighting solutions (for diagnostic and treatment equipment)
Key focus areas
- Forecasting and analytics, strategic planning of biomedical and pharmaceutical R&D, implementing of the roadmaps, identifying of the priority areas using new web-based tools, expert assessment at different levels
- R&D management and carrying out
- Medical educational experience, practice-oriented educational programmes, personnel and professional training according to science and business needs, talented youth consolidation;
- Informational activities: providing information on the Cluster’s expertise to the media, information and RP support for major events, communication with Russian and European clusters and related structures; conferences, meetings, seminars, schools, etc.
- Carrying out organizational and financial activities, fundraising;
- Ensuring sustainable development of the Scientific and Educational Medical Cluster.
Scientific and technical commissions
- Automatics and mathematical modeling
- IT in medicine and biology
- Innovative drugs and biotechnology
- Molecular and cellular biology, personalized and regenerative medicine
- Management in medicine and healthcare economics
- Technical, biomedical and medical education
- Rehabilitation and physiotherapy
- Telecommunication technologies in medicine
The Cluster participants will create the following medical products:
|New pathogenetically proved molecular, cellular and tissue targets of socially significant diseases for diagnosis and treatment|
|Innovative pharmaceuticals Инновационные фармацевтические препараты|
|Bioinspired composite and hybrid medical materials|
|New diagnostic and treatment technologies|
|New joint programmes for higher education and additional training|
|Online educational resources (courses, simulators, etc.) for joint educational programmes|
Autonomous Non-Profit Organization Management Company
«Innovations and Digital Technologies in Healthcare»
Autonomous Non-Profit Organization Management Company «Innovations and Digital Technologies in Health Care» is a non-membership non-profit organization established on voluntary founders’ contributions to Scientific and Educational Medical Cluster “Translational Medicine”.
It is meant to provide innovation services in medicine, develop and introduce new drugs and medical devices, medical technologies, spread and generalize scientific technologies and achievements in healthcare as well as practical methods, R&D, special and expert research activities and consultations, promoting healthy lifestyle.
The decision on Management Company was made at the Cluster Coordination Council on February 22, 2017 and the Company was officially registered on July 31, 2019.
6 Cluster founders were invited as founders of the Management Company:
- Almazov National Medical Research Centre
- ITMO University
- Peter the Great Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University
- Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health
- Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University (LETI)
- Saint Petersburg State Chemical-Pharmaceutical Academy
- Management of Scientific and Educational Medical Cluster “Translational Medicine”
- Foresight and analytical activities, including strategical planning for biomedical and pharmaceutical research, implementation of road maps, identifying R&D priorities including with the use of new IT-based tools
- Project expertise at different levels, consulting for public and private companies
- Educational practice-oriented programmes, professional training and retraining
- Stable functioning of the Cluster
- Advisory and methodological assistance in the field of translational and value-based medicine
- Services in conference holding and participating in professional events for experience exchange, traineeship in healthcare and industry involving Russian and foreign scientists and public figures
- Services in group and individual grant applications
- Assistance in the development of new technologies in Cluster-related areas
- Publishing activities
- Preparation and publication of information and reference materials; scientific, educational, methodological and technical books and guidelines, promotion and video materials on the activities of the Cluster and the Company
- Creation and development of web resources
- Cooperation with all interested stakeholders (public and scientific foundations, legislative and executive authorities, national and international organizations, legal entities and individuals) in the field of translational and value-based medicine