Head of the Division
Research Laboratory of Myocardial Metabolism was founded by the Academic Council of Federal Almazov Medical Research Centre in April 2007 as a part of the Department of Pathophysiology. In May 2009, the Laboratory joined the Institute of Experimental Medicine.
Basic Research Directions:
The research work is conducted in close collaboration with other laboratories of the Institute of Experimental Medicine, and other scientific and clinical divisions of the Centre. The most important directions are:
- Myocardial protection from ischemia/reperfusion injury by pre- and postconditioning in experiments and clinical practice;
- Development of targeted drug delivery into the ischemic myocardium and tumor tissues using nanoparticulate carriers;
- Pharmacological and non-pharmacological methods of protection of brain tissues from ischemia/reperfusion injury;
- Stimulation of myocardial regeneration after injury by an activation of differentiation of resident progenitor cells and mesenchymal stem cells;
- Investigation of the role of asymmetric dimethylarginine in the pathogenesis of acute myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury in animal models of diabetes mellitus (in collaboration with the Centre for Vascular Diseases, University Hospital “Carl Gustav Carus” of the Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany).
In 2010, all collaborations of the Laboratory of Myocardial Metabolism with research organizations and universities of St. Petersburg were reflected in the scientific and technical cooperation agreements.
In particular, contracts were signed with the Central Research Institute of Structural Materials “Prometey”, Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University, St. Petersburg State Technological Institute (Technical University), and “Kardioprotekt”, LLC. International cooperation of the Laboratory includes research contacts with the University of Oslo, Norway and the University of Iowa, U.S.A.
Researchers of the Laboratory in cooperation with the University of Iowa develop the project “Investigation of the role of asymmetric dimethylarginine in the pathogenesis of acute myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury”.
Key publications of the Laboratory
1. Galagudza M., Sonin D., Vlasov T., Kurapeev D., Shlyakhto E. Remote versus local ischemic preconditioning in the rat heart: infarctlimitation, suppression of ischemic arrhythmia, and the role of reactive oxygen species // European Heart Journal Supplements. – 2016. – V.97. –№ 1. – Р 66-74.
2. Sonin D. L., Korolev D. V., Postnov V. N., Naumysheva E. B., Pochkaeva E. I., Vasyutina M. L., Galagudza M. M. Silicon-containing nanocarriers for targeted drug delivery: synthesis, physicochemical properties and acute toxicity // Drug Delivery. – 2015. – Published online: 23 Jul 2015. – P. 1-10. – doi: 10.3109/10717544.2015.1069421.