Head of Department
Major research areas
- Studying the toxic effect of pharmacological and probiotic drugs, chemical compounds and microbial metabolites on the cardiovascular system.
- Implementing the set of basic toxicological studies into routine clinical practice in accordance with National State Standards and harmonization with international OECD standards. Implementation of quality system standards is a prerequisite for all toxicology research.
- Investigating the direct and indirect effect of gut microbiota, probiotics, microbial metabolites and antimicrobial drugs on the morphofunctional indicators of the immune, digestive and cardiovascular systems, higher nervous activity and behavior, the results forming the basis of a new strategy for macroorganism control by modulating its microbiota.
Having reached a new research quality level, the Institute of Experimental Medicine and Department of Toxicology are facing the task of wide interaction with foundations, research and commercial organizations, all departments of the Preclinical Translational Research Centre to realize research and creative potential. Work is underway under the existing agreements for drug safety studies.
Currently, in addition to the extensive experimental modeling on small rodents, the specialists of the Department are developing telemetric methods with new biological test systems – large animals (pigs).
- Studying the mechanisms of direct and indirect (through antibiotic-induced dysbiosis) toxic effect of antimicrobial and probiotic drugs on the cardiovascular system
- Searching for antimicrobial drugs and probiotic strains that increase myocardial resistance to ischemia-reperfusion
- Expanding the base for modeling on biological test systems
Development of a strategy for myocardial protection from ischemia/reperfusion injury based on controlled changes in gut microbiota.
Grant Agreement No. 18-15-00153
Russian Science Foundation, Competition for the RSF grants «Conducting basic and exploratory research by individual research teams» (supervised by M. Galagudza).
Development of a model for the effect of chronic change in stress factors on the higher nervous activity in experimental animals simulating depressive-like conditions for an experimental study of the antidepressant effect of probiotics”
The specialists investigated functional parameters and myocardial damage in the ischemia-reperfusion model of an isolated heart and occlusion of the left coronary artery in acute experiments on rats after administration of antimicrobial and probiotic drugs. They obtained the data on changes in gut microbiota, morphology of the intestinal mucosa, hydrolysis and absorption, digestive enzyme activity, immune system parameters and behavioral characteristics.
For the first time, the Department team together with the colleagues from the Institute of Experimental Medicine demonstrated the modulating effect of antimicrobial and probiotic drugs on functional myocardial parameters, cognitive and behavioral characteristics.
Borshchev, Y.Y., Uspensky, Y.P., Galagudza, M.M. Pathogenetic pathways of cognitive dysfunction and dementia in metabolic syndrome. Life Sciences. 2019; 237: ID 116932 (эл.рес.). DOI: 10.1016/j.lfs.2019.116932. – Access link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320519308598.
Borshchev, Y.Y., Minasian, S.M., Burovenko, I.Y., Borshchev, V.Y., Protsak, E.S., Semenova, N.Y., Borshcheva, O.V., Galagudza, M.M. Effects of tetracycline on myocardial infarct size in obese rats with chemically-induced colitis. PLoS ONE. 2019; 14 (11), ID e0225185 (эл. ресурс). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0225185. – Access link: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0225185.
Borshchev Y.Y., Sinitsa A.V., Zakharchenko M.M., Borshchev V.Y., Burovenko I.Y., Galagudza M.M. Effect of antiobiotic-induced disbiosis and its correction with probiotics on myocardial tolerance to ischemia-reperfusion injury in SPF rats. Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2019;166 (4):440-443. DOI: 10.1007/s10517-019-04368-5. – Access link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10517-019-04368-5.
Ermolenko E., Rybalchenko O., Borshev Y., Tarasova E., Kramskaya T., Leontieva G., Kotyleva M., Orlova O., Abdurasulova I., Suvorov A. Influence of monostrain and multistrain probiotics on immunity, intestinal ultrastructure and microbiota in experimental dysbiosis. Beneficial Microbes. 2018;9 (6):937-949. DOI: 10.3920/BM2017.0117. – Access link: https://www.wageningenacademic.com/doi/10.3920/BM2017.0117.
Certificate of software registration No. 2018665061 issued 29.11.2018, application No.2018661604 dated 22.10.2018
«Software for digital processing of histological images of the necrotic zones (black shadow)».
Authors: V. Borshchev., I. Burovenko, Yu. Borshchev, M. Galagudza, D. Korolev