Head of Department, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences
The Research Department of Arterial Hypertension was established in 2001 based on the Research Institute of Cardiology named after Professor Vladimir Almazov (Almazov National Medical Research Centre).
Major research areas
— Pathogenesis and treatment of arterial hypertension, secondary arterial hypertension and cardiovascular complications
— Sleep disorders and their relationship with cardiovascular, neurological and endocrine diseases, as well as their effect on the prognosis in various conditions
- «Development of the design and manufacturing technology of a self-expanding bare-metal stent for the treatment of atherosclerotic lesions of the iliac-femoral segment» (2021–2022)
- “Creating a new technology for targeted correction of the gut microbiome and developing a personalized approach to primary prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis in cardiovascular disease” (2021–2022, supervised by A.L. Maslyansky)
- 2022 20-013-00874\22. «Neurophysiological mechanisms of high sleep reactivity to stress in chronic insomnia» (supervised by Yu.V. Sviryaev)
- 2022 22-25-20155 «Influence of sleep-disordered breathing on the restoration of neurological functions and rehabilitation potential in patients in acute cerebral stroke» (supervised by S.N. Yanishevsky)
- 2021 21-75-10173 «The role of circadian factors in the regulation of neuroplasticity in ischemic stroke» (supervised by L.S. Korostovtseva)
- 2020 075-15-2020-800 «Development of new neuromodulation-based technologies for heart failure prevention and treatment» (supervised by M.M. Galagudza)
- The International Ambulatory Blood Pressure Registry: Telemonitoring of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Risk Project (ARTEMIS), Project Coordinator – Professor Gianfranco Parati.
- Global SYMPLICITY Registry — International Registry of 3-5-year prospective study of patients selected for sympathetic renal denervation.
- MASTER STUDY – MASked-unconTrolled hypERtension management.
- VASOTENS Registy – Vascular Health Assessment of The Hypertensive Patients.
- PRECISION trial to assess the efficacy and safety of Aprocitentan in patients diagnosed with resistant arterial hypertension.
- ESH-SHOT trial – optimal blood pressure levels in patients after stroke/TIA.
Participation in national and international societies and projects
Arterial Hypertension Research Department took part in the development and has been involved in case follow-up of the ESSE-RF study (Cardiovascular Epidemiology in Russian Federation).
Active collaboration and membership: the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and the International Society of Hypertension (ISH).
European Sleep Research Society, Assembly of National Sleep Societies.
Every year, the specialists of the Department deliver presentations at the largest European congresses.
The specialists of the Department created the Competence Centre for Resistant Arterial Hypertension where patients with renovascular arterial hypertension and hormone-producing adrenal tumors are screened for surgery.
The specialists of the Laboratory see patients at the Diagnostic Centre and provide consultations to inpatients undergoing treatment at Almazov Centre.
Mikhailova V.B., Karpushev A.V., Vavilova V.D., Klimenko E.S., Tulintseva T., Yudina Y.S., Vasichkina E.S., Zhorov B.S., Kostareva A. Functional Analysis of SCN5A Genetic Variants Associated with Brugada Syndrome. Cardiology. 2022. Т. 147. № 1. С. 35-46. IF: 3,487. Doi: 10.1159/000519857. Access link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34628415/
Halliday A., Bulbulia R., Bonati L.H., Chester J., Cradduck-Bamford A., Peto R., Chernyavsky M.A., Komakha B.B., Golovkova M., Zherdev N.N. Second asymptomatic carotid surgery trial (ACST-2): a randomised comparison of carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy. The Lancet. 2021. Т. 398. № 10305. С. 1065—1073. IF: 202,731. Doi: 10.1016/S0140—6736 (21) 01910-3. Access link: https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140—6736 (21) 01910-3/fulltext
Dubinina E., Amelina V., Konradi A., Korostovtseva L.S., Rotar O., Boyarinova M., Bochkarev M., Sviryaev Y., Shlyakhto E., Shashkova T., Baranova E., Libis R., Duplyakov D. Physical Activity Is Associated With Sleep Quality: Results of the ESSE-RF Epidemiological Study. Frontiers in Psychology. 2021. Т. 12. № MAR. С. 705212. IF: 3,88. Doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.705212. Access link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34447339/
Kruger, Ruan; Brunström, Mattias; Burger, Dylan; Charchar, Fadi; Climie, Rachel; Mirabito Colafella, Katrina M.; Kempny, Pablo; Korostovtseva, Lyudmila; Marques, Francine Z.; Picone, Dean; Romero, Cesar Steckelings, Ulrike M.; Velkoska, Elena; Wainford, Richard; Wynne, Brandi M.; Zanuzzi, Matias G. Highlights from the International Society of Hypertension's New Investigators Network during 2019. Journal of Hypertension: February 07, 2020 — Publish Ahead of Print — Issue -doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000002365. IF 4,092. – Access link: https://journals.lww.com/jhypertension/Citation/2020/05000/Highlights_from_the_International_Society_of.23.aspx.
Seiler A, Camilo M, Korostovtseva L, Haynes AG, Brill AK, Horvath T, Egger M, Bassetti CL. Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing after stroke and TIA: A meta-analysis. Neurology. 2019 Feb 12;92 (7):e648-e654. IF 8,770. – Access link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30635478/.
C Randler, SN Kolomeichuk, AV Morozov, DA Petrashova, VV Pozharskaya, AA Martynova, LS Korostovtseva, MV Bochkarev, YV Sviryaev, MG Polouektov, C Drake. Psychometric properties of the Russian version of the Pediatric Daytime Sleepiness Scale (PDSS). Heliyon. 2019. 5 (7). e02134. IF 1,650. – Access link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6661285/.
Bhatt DL, Steg PG, Miller M, Brinton EA, Jacobson TA, Ketchum SB, Doyle RT Jr, Juliano RA, Jiao L, Granowitz C, Tardif JC, Ballantyne CM; Konradi AO, Rotar OP REDUCE-IT Investigators. Cardiovascular Risk Reduction with Icosapent Ethyl for Hypertriglyceridemia. N Engl J Med. 2019;380 (1):11-22. IF 70,67. – Access link: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1812792?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%20%200pubmed.
Mironova, S.; Iudina, I.; Ionov, M.; Emelyanov, I.; Avdonina, N.; Zverev, D.; Zvartau, N.; Konradi, A. Impact Of Aggressive Blood Pressure Reduction On Kidney Function After Renal Denervation Long-Term Outcomes. July 2019. Journal of Hypertension 37:e285 DOI: 10.1097/01.hjh.0000573636.86335.22
Database State Registration Certificate No. 2022620526, registered on 15.03.2022, application No. 2022620280 dated 18.02.2022./
«True Resistant Hypertension Patient Registry» (trueRHTN. Almazov NMRC)
Authors: Ionov M.V., Emelyanov I.V., Zvartau N.E., Konradi A.O.
Database Certificate No. 2019622466, issued on 23.12.2019, application No. 2019622424 dated 11.12.2019.
“Registry of telemedicine monitoring of patients with essential hypertension «BPTM data»
Authors: Ionov M.V., Zvartau N.E., Kurapeev D.I., Konradi A.O.
Database Certificate No. 2019622422, issued on 19.12.2019, application No. 2019622423 dated 11.12.2019.
“Registry of patients with resistant arterial hypertension after radiofrequency ablation of the renal sympathetic nerves «RD Database»
Authors: Ionov M.V., Zvartau N.E., Mironova S.A., Yudina Yu.S., Emelyanov I.V., Konradi A.O.
Igor Emelyanov, Senior Researcher