Head of Department, cardiovascular surgeon
The Research Department of Vascular and Interventional Surgery was established on the basis of Clinical Angiology Research Laboratory in 2017.
The newly created Department comprises 2 laboratories: Vascular and Hybrid Surgery Research Laboratory and Interventional Surgery Research Laboratory.
Development, improvement and introduction into practice of modern medical technologies in order to improve the quality of medical care provided to cardiovascular patients.
- Interventional Surgery Research Laboratory
- Vascular and Hybrid Surgery Research Laboratory
Training and education
The Department organizes educational and extracurricular events for school students as part of career guidance activities. The specialists prepare and deliver lectures and workshops for students of the Medical Education Institute. Coordination of medical education, diagnostic and treatment processes in the regions is provided through telemedicine technologies.
Every year, the Departments delivers:
- Advanced training course “X-Ray Endovascular Treatment Methods for Lower Extremity Arterial Disease” (18 hours)
- Advanced training course “Endovascular Surgery for Aortic Aneurysms” (18 hours)
- Advanced training course “Endovascular Methods for Revascularization of the Brachiocephalic Arteries” (prepared for approval)
- Advanced training course “Hybrid Surgery for Multilevel Lesions of Lower-Limb Arteries” (prepared for approval)
- A series of skill enhancement manipulation courses for cardiovascular and endovascular beginner surgeons at the Institute of Experimental Medicine (prepared for approval)
Newly developed and implemented technologies
- Open, endovascular and hybrid technologies for the treatment of diseases of the aorta and its branches (including minimally invasive techniques to treat aortic aneurysms of different localization, aortic dissection), coronary arteries, peripheral arteries
- Endovascular aortic valve replacement
- Endovascular treatment of patients with acute and chronic pulmonary thromboembolism, chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- Minimally invasive treatment for varicose veins of the lower extremities
Preclinical study of a new bare-metal balloon-expandable stent with delivery system for the treatment of chronic DeBakey type III aortic dissection (2018—2020).
Supervised by: M. Chernyavsky.
A bare-metal stent was developed for the treatment of aortic dissection. A peripheral nitinol stent was developed for the treatment of atherosclerosis of the lower extremities. Stent implantation into the abdominal aorta in laboratory animals was performed at the Preclinical Translational Research Centre of Almazov Centre.
- Asymptomatic Carotid Surgery Trial 2 (ACST-2), international randomized trial coordinated by the University of Oxford
- Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of the drug Unifuzol® in patients with obliterating atherosclerosis of the lower extremities
Editing and publications
- Guide (full version) and quick reference guide to cardiology
- Draft National Guidelines for the Treatment and Diagnosis of Lower Limb Arterial Diseases
- Quick reference guide to arrhythmology
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinical Guidelines
Mikhail Chernyavsky, Leading Researcher