- Determining the prevalence of abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome in organized populations of St. Petersburg and identifying molecular genetic predictors of metabolic syndrome in patients with abdominal obesity (prospective observational study). Establishing the prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its forms in St. Petersburg, determining the socio-economic and molecular genetic predictors for the development of abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome in people of working age.
- Studying drug and non-drug approaches to the treatment of patients with abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome. Assessing physical performance and changes in body composition during therapy implying a low-calorie diet and the effects of physical training in patients with abdominal obesity (prospective observational study). Studying various modes of physical training and their effects on metabolic syndrome components in order to develop optimal measures for non-drug treatment of these patients. Developing optimal modes for drug management of metabolic syndrome components.
- Assessing structural and functional changes and processes of cardiac remodeling, grading the severity of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction, and arterial remodeling in patients with abdominal obesity. Identifying the most peculiar features of left ventricular remodeling in patients with abdominal obesity (prospective observational study). Developing diagnostic algorithms for early signs of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction in patients with abdominal obesity and management strategies for such patients.
- Assessing the cognitive functions and condition of the endogenous cannabinoid system in patients with abdominal obesity and arterial hypertension. Determining early cognitive impairment and diagnostic methods for patients with arterial hypertension and obesity in order to develop methods for the prevention of cognitive deficit in these patients.
- Studying the effect of vitamin D deficiency on the processes of cardiovascular remodeling and osteopenia in perimenopausal women with abdominal obesity (prospective observational study). Determining the role of vitamin D deficiency in the development of metabolic syndrome in women during sexual involution and developing the replacement therapy methods.
- Studying the role of artificial menopause in the development of obesity and hypertension and the effect of hormone replacement therapy with the anti-mineralocorticoid progestin (experimental work). Determining the effect of drospirenone in the experiment and in the clinic (in combination with an antihypertensive drug) on the level of blood pressure and body weight in order to develop the best treatment for postmenopausal women with arterial hypertension and obesity.
- Identifying molecular genetic predictors for the development of atrial fibrillation, markers of the formation of myocardial fibrosis in patients with abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome. Developing the early diagnostic algorithms for atrial fibrillation in patients with abdominal obesity and management tactics for these patients.
Our specialists provide consultation, diagnostic and treatment services to patients at the Cardiology Department of Almazov Centre as well as at the cardiology and medical divisions of Pavlov State Medical University.