Head of Laboratory
- Studying molecular, genetic and epigenetic basis for the development and prediction of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), developing best practices for its early diagnosis and treatment
- Studying cardiovascular risk factors in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and developing prevention methods
The research laboratory focuses on the following tasks:
- Organizing GDM screening in several maternity welfare centers of St. Petersburg
- Creating a registry of women with GDM and prviding its technical support
- Studying the association of candidate gene polymorphisms (TCF7L2, CDKAL1, TCF2, FTO, etc.), the degree of gene-specific DNA methylation with the development of GDM and pregnancy outcomes
- Examining the role of insulin resistance indices, adipokines and vitamin D as early markers of GDM
- Developing the prediction methods for GDM development based on molecular genetic studies
- Developing GDM prevention methods for high risk groups
- Evaluating the role of fasting glycemia at first referral for pregnancy as a criterion for GDM and optimizing the diagnostic approach for GDM in the 1st trimester of pregnancy
- Developing the recommendations for the optimal frequency of blood glucose self-monitoring and determining the target levels of blood glucose in women with GDM
- Investigating the efficacy and safety of oral hypoglycemic agents (e.g., metformin) for GDM
P. V. Popova, A. S. Gerasimov, E. N. Kravchuke, E. M. Ryazantseva, E. N. Grineva. First trimester high blood pressure and risk of developing gestational diabetes later in pregnancy // The 7th International DIP Symposium, Florence, Italy, March 2013
P. V. Popova, A. Y. Babenko, E. N.Grineva. The Prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes, Arterial Hypertension and Coronary Artery Disease in Perimenopausal Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Wedge Resected in 1972—1989 // Diabetes. – 2012. – Vol.61, Suppl. 1- A649.
P. V. Popova, E. M. Ryasantseva, L. I. Ivanova, E. N. Grineva. Anti-mullerian hormone as a predictor of ovarian response to weight loss in overweight women with polycustic ovary syndrome // 15th International and 14th European Congress of Endocrinology. Florence, Italy, May 2012.
P. V. Popova, A. S. Gerasimov, E. N. Kravchuke, E. M. Ryazantseva, E. S. Shelepova, J. A. Demchuke, E. N. Grineva. The new combination of risk factors determining a high risk of gestational diabetes mellitus // 15th International and 14th European Congress of Endocrinology. Florence, Italy, May 2012.