Maksim V. Puzanov
Head of Biobank
The Biobank was founded in Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre in 2012 as a department for collecting, processing and responsible storage of biological samples and associated clinical data from FMRC's patients with various groups of diseases:
- Oncology & Hematology
- Hereditary and congenital diseases
- Other groups of diseases
Well characterized human-derived biological samples of high quality are necessary for molecular therapeutic targets search, drugs development, and diagnostic test-systems design. Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre's Biobank has opportunities for collecting and processing of many kinds of bio-materials, such as serum & plasma, whole blood & buffy coat, bone marrow aspirate and concentrate, cell and tissue cultures, DNA/RNA samples, etc. from patients and healthy donors.
- Cryo-preservation of all kinds of bio-material
- DNA/RNA extraction from all types of bio-material
- Mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) extraction from bone marrow, adipose and other types of tissues
- Separation of serum, plasma and cell components from peripheral blood
- Immunophenotyping by flow cytometry
- Immunocyto- and histo- chemical methods
- Cell and tissue culturing in normoxia and hypoxia
- Expression and secretion analysis
- Other methods of molecular and cell biology and biochemistry
Biobank's equipment allows the storage of any kinds of bio-material at room temperature, +4ºC, -20ºC, -40ºC, -80ºC and -196ºC (liquid nitrogen and its vapor).
To date a large collection of bio-material and associated clinical data is stored in FMRC's Biobank, and this collection continues to increase. In prospect, every Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre's patient should be considered as a donor of bio-material.
Great attention is paid in our Center to ethic aspects of biobanking. All theFederal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre's donors sign informed consent according to Declaration of Helsinki, and all the procedures with human-derived samples are executed according to ICH-GCP standards.
The Biobank works not only with Federal Almazov North-West Medical Research Centre's departments, but provides services and characterized bio-samples for scientific and clinical studies to other organizations, such as biomedical research institutions, pharmacological and biotechnological companies. FMRC's Biobank is one of the key elements in development of translational and personalized medicine in Saint-Petersburg and Russia.
tel.: +7 (812) 702-37-772
Akkuratova street, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 197341